Island School (ischool.org) seeks a Facilities Director beginning in the 2019-20 academic year with a commitment to private education. This is a full-time position that is responsible to lead a staff of about 11 employees 12 months a year. This manager position reports to the Business Manager and Head of School.
Island School, an Independent college preparatory day school for students in pre-kindergarten through grade 12 located in Lihue. Responsibilities include manage areas of Island School operations as assigned, including but not limited to: 1) facilities and grounds - 38 acres, 2) transportation services - Three Bus routes daily; 3) Oversee rentals, keys and security; 4) maintenance. 5) With Head of School/Business Manager report to the buildings and grounds committee.
Applications should be directed to Mr. L. Shannon Graves, Head of School. Please include a letter of introduction, a résumé, and at least three professional references. We will begin reviewing applications immediately and will close the application period when the position is filled. The position is for the 2019-20 school year. Information may be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Island School is a WASC/HAIS accredited PK-12 independent school with a total enrollment of 420 students. The school offers a challenging college preparatory curriculum. More information about Island School, its educational philosophies, mission statement and its curriculum can be found on the school’s website at ischool.org.
The successful candidate should have the ability to communicate effectively with many people including employees, contractors, members of the Board, vendors, students, parents, colleagues, and a desire to be part of a friendly independent school community. Have knowledge of budgeting, purchasing, billing; project budget projections/actual cost; project management; insurance, facilities management, including maintenance, minor repairs, rentals, and scheduling; budget preparation, management, inventory control and discipline. Must be able to work with a wide range of people and manage people.
Minimum Qualifications include:
Ability to communicate and work effectively with vendors, contractors, students and staff.
Ability to motivate and manage employees.
Strong work ethic, adaptability, generous spirit, desire to work together with employees and confident working with others.
1. Outside Contracts – develop and have approved outside contracts for various tasks, such as
trash pick-up, janitorial services; also, develop and implement
contracts for construction, landscaping, and other specific projects important to smooth
operations and necessary and desired improvements within budget;
2. Maintenance of Facilities – Assure that facilities are properly maintained, including repairs,
painting, and regular and special cleaning as needed; also, develop a schedule for
replacements and upgrading for all facilities, furniture, and equipment except those assigned
to other departments; which include proper accounting for fixed assets of the school. Willing to work and complete tasks.
3. Oversee Security – Assure that the buildings and grounds are properly secured and guarded during
non-school hours, including weekends;
4. Oversee Maintenance of Grounds – ensure that the grounds are maintained in an attractive manner;
5. Supervision – oversees the work of Facilities/Security/Landscaping/Busing/Maintenance staff, including but not limited to grounds keeping, transportation drivers, and security person.
6. Use of Facilities and Grounds – maintain a “Facilities and Grounds Use Calendar,” during work week, weekends and after hours to avoid conflict and ensure their full use; when they are not otherwise needed for school events, facilities and grounds may be rented to outside groups as a means of off-setting costs of maintenance, so long as such uses are appropriate and proper care is assured;
Experience: References from a previous employer(s) certifying reliability and satisfactory performance over a multi-year period.